Civil Commitment

Before filing an affidavit for commitment to a DMH Behavioral Health Program with the chancery clerk’s office, we strongly encourage you to contact your local Community Mental Health Center to learn about services, supports, and alternatives to the commitment process such as Mobile Crisis Response Teams, Crisis Stabilization Beds, and more. Call the DMH Helpline at 1-877-210-8513 for more information.

In Mississippi, individuals are admitted to state behavioral health programs through commitment – a legal process in which a court orders a person to a hospital for treatment or evaluation. The first step toward helping someone receive our services begins with filing an affidavit (a legal document) at the local Chancery Clerk office. A judge will make a decision based on all the evidence presented as to whether treatment is necessary and, if so, at an inpatient or outpatient program. The documents below can guide you through the commitment process, which will vary slightly based on whether someone is in need of mental health treatment or alcohol and drug addiction services.

The process for both civil commitment and alcohol and drug commitment begins with filing an affidavit for civil commitment in the chancery clerk’s office where the person  resides or is currently located. While you may pay a filing fee of up to $150, no attorney is required for this process. Click the images or the headings below to view a downloadable PDF that will guide you through the commitment process.

For alcohol and drug commitments, individuals may be admitted to state treatment programs for alcohol and drug addiction treatment, and judges may also order individuals to private treatment programs for these services. You can  find links to the Civil Commitment Affidavit, General Uniform Alcohol and Drug Commitment Affidavit, and the Private Treatment Uniform Alcohol and Drug Commitment Affidavit below.

Alcohol and Drug Commitment

Civil Commitment